Saturday, November 10, 2012

Doing good.

Callie had a very good day. The antibiotics have kicked in and no fever! Last night before they put in her IV they gave her some meds to relax her so she basically spelt from 6-midnight and on and off until 1:00am. She had a few naps through the night but mostly played. I am guessing she was so happy just to feel good. By 6am she was in full swing active mode! For the most part she has done well playing in the crib, which did surprise me a bit. I figured she would want more room to move. We were told during morning rounds that we would be moving to the floor today. Everyone knows how we feel about a main floor unit! Well at 3:00 we were moved.

This is our first experience on the floor so I was going into it with an open mind knowing how amazing everything has been up to this point. During admission onto the main unit Callie lost her IV. They were not able to flush it at all. We thought it was 'saved' however it was not. This brought up a whole new factor. The discussion that has been going on all day. Will Callie need to go home on IV medication? Results from the cultures are not back yet so we really just don't know for certain. If she goes home on IV medication she needs a PIC line (A peripherally inserted central catheter is a form of intravenous access that can be used for a prolonged period of time). If the infection is just a tissue infection she may not need to be on IV medication. So the big question is poke Callie who knows how many more times just to get an IV or place a PIC line in the morning (under sedation). The ICU doctor said wait until morning and the floor doctor wanted to put in an IV. Thankfully the ICU doctor that came on for night rotation came to the floor to see us as he heard they lost the IV (which he placed the night before). He was also the day shift doctor that followed Callie the whole week after her surgery. We talked through the issue and he agreed that he would wait until morning as it just is not worth poking Callie more. He talked to the other staff and no IV was placed. I have so much respect for this doctor. He truly understands our family, abilities to care for Callie and most of all he listens to what we want. After that was all dealt with all I have to say about the nurse we had is I hope the night one is good and I can get some sleep.

As for the PIC line it will be placed at 8am tomorrow. We are just assuming that it is going to be needed. We were really hoping to go home tomorrow, however by the sounds of it we may not be able to get IV medication on a weekend so we may be stuck until Monday. To make it even better both kids have to be here on Tuesday for appointments.

By the end of the day - well Callie is back to her old self. Full of spunk!





So many people have asked how I am doing as Chris is at home with Zak for this trip. Thankfully I do have help though as Grandma Kathy came along. Riding in the car alone with Callie was not an option. First thank you for thinking of me and asking, however I will tell you what most Mothers do. I am doing good. You go on peer love for your child and do what you need to do given the moment. Callie needs me the most right now and I need to be strong and supportive for her. I will say though I cannot wait for our life to get back to normal and get one good night of sleep as it has been a very long two weeks. I am also looking forward to real food as hospital food just does not cut it and a shake made with a blender (my morning breakfast shakes just are not the same).

Praying for some answers on all the cultures tonight along with Callie to continue with her healing as she is going in the right direction now.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear you had to go back! Praying all is well yet today. Been a crazy few days here, and I'm just catching up.

    ReplyDelete